After chopping down a tree at your home in Kentucky, you may realize you have a stump that still needs to be removed. In fact, getting rid of the tree is the easy part removing the stump is a whole other ball game.
Tree stump removal costs can vary depending on a few factors. Most importantly, if you do it yourself or hire a professional. By learning about the costs and what factors into them, you’ll avoid unpleasant surprises.
DIY or Hire A Professional
When it comes to removing tree stumps, you have a few options. It’s important to note that there is no one-size-fits-all solution for tree stump removal. The first decision you need to make is whether or not you want to hire someone else to do the work for you or if you’d rather rent a grinder and do it yourself. On the face of things, it may not seem like there is a huge difference in price between hiring the pros and renting a stump grinder. However, many small but important factors can influence the net amount that it’s going to cost. For example, time is money and that needs to be kept in mind as well. If you’d like the work done quickly and efficiently, then professional tree stump removal in Kentucky is probably worth every penny!
Consider these things before deciding whether or not to remove a stump yourself:
- Time – Stump removal can take anywhere from 1-2 days, depending on how big your tree is and how much work needs to be done around it. If you want to get it done quickly, hiring professionals will cost more money but save time in the long run if you can’t afford to pay for their services upfront (see 2).
- Money – If you plan on doing this yourself, consider how much money you have available for tools and supplies beforehand, so there are no surprises later on when things get expensive quickly!
- Experience – If this isn’t something that comes naturally to you, consider hiring professionals who are skilled at what they do because they know what tools work best (and which ones don’t).
Professional Tree Stump Removal Prices In Kentucky
The average nationwide price for professional tree stump removal is around $165, and it generally takes about an hour. Professional companies may charge based on different criteria:
- The stump’s size – If you are charged based on the diameter of the stump that needs to be removed, you can expect to pay around $2-$3 per inch of diameter. Most companies charge a minimum of $100.
- The number of stumps you need to be removed – Many companies offer price breaks to customers who have more than one stump that needs to be removed. For example, you may be charged $100 to $150 for the first stump and between $30 and $50 for each additional stump.
- Whether or not your property has existing landscaping – In the event that you need a large expanse of land to be cleared and a huge number of stumps to go along with it, you can expect to pay a flat hourly fee. On average, customers are typically charged around $150 per hour. You may be charged based on the average diameter of the stumps that need to be removed. If the average diameter is 12 inches and you have 200 stumps, 2400 inches need to be cleared. At $2 per inch, you will pay $4,800.
Factors That Affect The Cost of Stump Removal In Kentucky
Stump removal in Kentucky costs will vary depending on a number of factors. Here are the most important ones:
- Stump Diameter – Larger diameters equal higher prices.
- Age of Stump – Older stumps are usually rotted and easier to grind down.
- Soil Condition – Rocky soil may damage equipment, so you may be charged more.
- Type of Tree Stump – Certain types of tree stumps are tougher to grind than others.
- Root System – Stumps with minimal root stumps are cheaper to remove than stumps with extensive root systems.
- Cleanup – If you want the ground-up stump to be removed as well, you will pay more
DIY Tree Removal Prices In Kentucky
In order to remove a stump yourself, you’ll need to rent a hydraulic stump grinder from your local home improvement store. This can be done by the hour or by the day, depending on how much time you have and how big of a job it is. The national average for removing a stump yourself is approximately $100, but it takes an average of three hours to get the job done.
The average cost to rent such a machine for half a day is $75 to $100, while the average cost to rent one for a full day is $150 to $400.
Why Have A Professional Remove The Tree Stump
A professional will ensure that the stump is removed in an environmentally friendly way, which is important for your yard and for the earth. A professional will also make sure that the stump is removed quickly and efficiently so that you can get back to enjoying your outdoor space. Finally, a professional will ensure that all of the root systems is dead so that it cannot grow back into a tree stump again.